Fellow writers it is that time of year again. That’s right, NaNoWriMo is fast approaching! What does that mean for you? Well, if you plan to participate in this year’s festivities, you should probably be prepping for a month long of writing, stressing and pulling your hair out. Just kidding. You should however, be getting your thoughts and ideas together about the 50,000 word novel you are going to complete in just 30 days. Start preparing NOW so that you are not overwhelmed when Nov 1st rolls around. You don’t want to be so frustrated that you quit. Here are a few tips to get started:
- Brainstorm in whatever unique way you do
- Come up with a main character and create a character profile
- Start Plotting
- Outline your story
- Name your characters
- Have a drink
- Inform your family you will be MIA for the next 30 days
- Go shopping for brain food – you’re going to need it
- Get excited and share it with your writer friends
- Support and encourage your writer friends
- Don’t forget to sign up!
If you still need help, go to NaNoWriMo.org where you will find a ton of prep help from webinars to forums to articles and it is all FREE! If you haven’t had a chance to sign up this year, the organizers have made it easy. Click here for more details. Happy prepping and I look forward to the flood of new novels at the end of the year!